Sunday 18 December 2016

Comings and goings

We've had a lot of girls sitting over Spring and into Summer, so finding a little clutch of warm eggs is becoming commonplace. This nest is Snowpea's latest brood - or so we thought...

Here is Spock, sneaking onto the nest, laying her own egg and attempting to roll Snowpea's eggs out!
 
Spock taking advantage of the situation

 Snowpea wasn't having any of Spock's takeover attempt however - as soon as Spock finished laying, Snowpea returned to her nest, pushed her eggs back into position and fluffed back over them. We know the birds often have communal nests, but it is rare that one will continue to lay in a shared nest once the sitting mother is in place.


Snowpea back in place
 There's been quite a bit of change in recent weeks - five birds (three boys and two girls) have gone to live with young William and his sister Brooke, on the Tasman Peninsula. William wanted a quail for his birthday - and got a small flock! We hope they'll all be happy together.

Back in our garden, Spock's little chick is growing into a very handsome male. We've called him Fedderdix.

Fedderdix surveying his domain - the grapes are coming along nicely...


"I am quail...hear me call!"

 After selling five birds, we also did a swap - giving two of our girls in return for...Mr Frizzles. We're hoping he'll bring a new bloodline to our flock. He's certainly trying his best to get to know all the girls! He has lovely markings, and is very friendly, having been hand-reared. He also has a club-foot, which makes him a bit ungainly, but doesn't seem to worry him at all.

Introducing...Mr Frizzles!
At full stretch - mid dust bath!


2 comments:

  1. Hi
    My name is jack and I was wondering if you would be able to help me? I'm currently in college studying animal management and am in my final year. I have to do a year long project of my choice and have chosen to do a study on What Influences Japanese Coturnix Quail to go Broody in Captivity? I have seen that you have been very successful in breeding your Japanese quails. If you would be able to fill out a questionnaire for me that would be great as I need knowledge and first hand experience of other people to go towards my study. I have had a Japanese quail hen of my own going broody also and am trying to see if I can recreate it but also to see what caused her to do it in the first place. I already have my suspicions but need other people's experiences and idea to make up my project. If you would be willing to partake in my project please let me know as it would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you wouldn't mind sending me your email address I could then email you an attachment of my questions and you could fill it in for me and email it me back.
    Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Jack - many thanks for your comment and glad you have found our blog! We've been away for a while and haven't updated, but the girls are still sitting and raising chicks, so we'd love to help with your reasearch. My email is ruth.painter@iinet.net.au

      Delete